Sunday 27 May 2018

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: The facts!




















Having HS comes with a whole load of problems starting with trying to get a diagnosis. This post will highlight some facts and put to rest some myths! 


Hidradenitis Suppurativa is rare! -  Myth 

Although HS is not extremely common it isn't as rare as you have probably been told. In fact, 1% of the world's population are known to be affected, yes that again seems like a small amount until you realise that 1% of the world's population is  approx. 75,270,000.


Hidradenitis Suppurativa can be treated Fact 

There is a lot of confusion when it comes to this subject, yes HS can be treated but as of yet, there is no cure! There are a lot of treatment options out there but unfortunately, none of them are known to work in 100% of cases. Antibacterial wash, keeping wound cleans and daily injections, the injections which can have very serious side effects, you can find out more by clicking this here.


Hidradenitis Suppurativa is caused by poor hygiene - Myth

This is a complete and utter myth. Although the cause of HS is not known, the one thing that all doctors and researchers agree upon is that HS has no link to poor hygiene. Keeping your skin clean is important whether you have HS or not, but cleaning excessively can cause more problems. When you clean your skin you are washing away germs and dead skin particles. Over-washing can cause your skin to become dry and cause the skin to crack and bleed. 

Hidradenitis Suppurativa can affect anyone, anywhere - Fact 


As I have said before, no-one knows what causes HS or why it only affects certain people within a family. What we do know is that HS can affect anywhere on your body that there is hair. ( I will be uploading a new post tomorrow explaining what exactly HS is and what it does that will expand on this) Meaning anywhere on your body, as we are all covered in tiny little hairs. The most common places for someone to experience abscesses are the armpits, groin and inner thighs. 


Hidradenitis Suppurativa is contagious - Myth 

HS wounds and scars may look unpleasant, but it is in no way contagious. The exact cause of HS is unknown but it is absolutely not contagious! It is not an STD, it is not a virus! It is a disease and it is 100% not communicable! 



Smoking and being overweight can make Hidradenitis Suppurativa worse - Fact 

This is a tricky one because it is technically true. When I went to see a surgeon about my HS he told me that being overweight and smoking would be making my HS worse. However, it would be making it worse by slowing down my wounds healing process. He told me that the stress I would be under trying to stop smoking would cause the same effects as smoking. Along with exercising to try and lose weight would cause more irritation to my skin than being overweight would. Of course, he told me that I should stop smoking as it would affect more than my skin i.e. lungs, mutation etc. and encouraged me to try a healthier lifestyle. Therefore yes smoking and being overweight does make HS worse, however, it is not going to be something that can be fixed overnight by changing these things!

That is it, I hope people found my facts and myths informing and helpful. If anyone has any questions or queries please feel free to contact me,

Thanks,
XOXO



2 comments:

  1. What is this condition? Never heard of it and I'm still none the wiser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thank you for your comment, i posted an explanation of the disease earlier on in my blog i will post the url below if you would like to view it.

    http://dealingwithhs.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/hidradenitis-suppurativa-warning-highly.html

    ReplyDelete

Past posts

Ran away with myself a little bit!