Saturday 2 September 2017

What happened when i went for surgery





First of all i would just like to apologise for my recent absence. For the past couple of days i have been feeling under the weather. I have had a few minor flare ups but nothing that has impacted me too harshly still i didn't feel well enough to post. 

I have heard off a lot of people who have been having surgery recently, debating whether or not it has helped. I myself have had two surgeries and sadly neither worked. I know they were done in two different way so i thought i could document what happened during mine (what i know of it anyway) and have some links for those who would like to learn more. This post will be on my first surgery that i had. 


Durham Hospital
My first surgery i had, I'm not quite sure of how old i was. I was still living at home so i know i must of been under 16. Anyway,i cannot for the life of me remember how i ended up wit the appointment but i remember being in the pre-op appointment with the surgeon and he was telling me all this medical mumbo jumbo explaining what was going to happen. i probably should of been listening but i was in too much pain.  I remember i was very worried abut the chances of me waking up during the surgery and he assured me everything would be fine. So the next day i came in at 7am an waited for my name to be called. I was taken into a room where i had to get changes and then wait fro another hour. Eventually the nurse came and got me and walked me over to the anaesthetic waiting room. I wasn't allowed anyone with me, i was so scared sat in the long cold hallway. Once i got in to the room i started to panic even more i was laying down on this hospital bed with all these lights and monitors around me, people coming in and out in and out. The anaesthesiologist asked me if i was okay using the mask - that flows oxygen- i told them i wasn't and explained why... Thankfully they were really lovely and were okay with using something else. The last thing i remember was the lovely nurse stroking my hair and telling me everything was going to be okay....
The next thing i knew i was waking up in the ward all groggy, i was told that once i had eaten some toast and used the bathroom i could go. I was given Tramadol and laxatives to help with my recovery then less than an hour after regaining consciousness i was out the door. 

This was my first surgery, it was performed in the day surgery unit and Durham hospital. 

Unfortunately this didn't help, from what i can gather what the surgeon did was cut and drain the abscess. The exorcise it and the surrounding tissue before stitching me up. The Joy!! 

After a week my mam decided that the pain killers were too strong for me so i stopped taking them - in all fairness i don't remember that week so they must of kicked my arse-. Unfortunately now they have no effect. 

I had a follow up appointment at the doctors a while after and unfortunately my abscess had started to return. I spoke to the district nurse about it and she informed me that the way that they do the surgery i.e. the stitching. Is very popular with first time surgeries and 9/10 they have to redo the surgery as it doesn't work. That made me think, well if it doesn't work the majority of the time then what is the point why not just ump straight to the more reliable one. I was told by her that the surgeons like to try disposable stitched first because its cheaper. They don't want to spend more money on medical supplies if the cheap version will do. 

That was the first time in my life that i felt that the NHS wasn't all it had been made out to be. 

Now id just like to say, i am thankful of the NHS, without it i probably wouldn't have my sight. I know how lucky i am to live in a country where i do not have to pay for my health care. I am thankful to all the medical staff that have looked after me throughout the years. However, i am seeing more and more people be put through unnecessary pain and struggle in order to save money. And it disgusts me. Doctors who try and cut corners, doctors who are reluctant to give someone anti-biotics when they need them.. Or my personal favourite, doctors who diagnose you over the phone. Please someone tel me how a Doctor can tell you, you have an ear infection, without looking at you or your ear?? 

All in all, i do not blame anyone for my surgery not working, and it wasn't a totally bad experience just a little nerve racking.. however my after care from my second surgery was BAD... if you would like to read it, i should be posting sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for listening
XOXO


(You can find more information here.)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Past posts

Ran away with myself a little bit!